Please Sign Mary’s Retirement Guest Book

Please fill in the “Leave a Reply” field below to add your own special retirement wish for Mary Abbott. Be sure to fill in the fields, sign your name and submit your comment post.

Mary is retiring after many years of service to the Faculty of Education at Vancouver Island University (formerly Malaspina University-College.)

Best wishes Mary and happy trails ahead from all your friends and colleagues at VIU

30 thoughts on “Please Sign Mary’s Retirement Guest Book

1. Dear Mary,
    I am sad to see you leave us but know that wonderful times are ahead for you and your lovely family. May you continue to share your knowledge and enthusiasm for teaching and learning with all the new colleagues you meet along your retirement path.
    Love and Hugs
    Mary O

2. Hi Mary,
    I am going to miss you. Many thanks for all you have done for our students and faculty over the last few years – DSTC, Aboriginal perspectives in Education, program design (everytime I see coloured post-its I will think of you 🙂 ), critical thinking, helping students work with long term planning and ‘big ideas’ and lending an ear so many times. I have learned much from you and will miss your wisdom and perspectives.
    May your life find a new rhythm with time to do what you love.
    All the best, Mary.
    Barbara

3. Hi Mary,
    I’m sorry to see you go. I feel that there’s a lot more I can and need to learn from you. I feel very blessed and inspired to have encountered an educator with such skill and dedication.
    All the best,
    Paul Nielsen

4. Hi Mary,

Congradulations on your retirement. I think of you often as I sit to write my “exciting” short and long term plans for my class and remember your passion for inspiring students… you were so share your TC2 program with us. Thank you for being such a wonderful faculty member. I am sure that you will be “walking” into my new and wonderful activities. All the best!

Victoria Freer aka… vicki cleland

5. Hello Mary,
    Congratulations on you retirement. I wish you the best of luck in the rest of your adventures – may there be many. Thank you for being a part of my experience in the education program and I will never forget the first day and how warm and welcome you made me feel.
    Good Luck and all the best.
    IVY KVING

6. Hi Mary,
    Congratulations on your retirement! I am sure that the next chapter of your life-long learning journey will be as inspiring, motivating and rewarding as your time teaching at VIU has been.
    Thank you for the positive impact that you had on me while I went through the program.
    Maybe we will cross “walking” paths together in the not so distant future!
    Best of luck,
    Margie Radigan

7. Mary, all the best as you leave us and go off in pursuit of other opportunities. It has been a real pleasure and I have learned much from you! Your tireless work on behalf of Aboriginal Education issues has had had a great impact on all of us.

Many thanks
    Harry

8. Hi Mary,
    Thank you for all your support these past years. You have been great! Probably more than you know – all it takes sometimes is a smile in the hallway!!! You will be missed… good luck, all the best, and enjoy your retirement!!! Hopefully you will still stop in to see us from time to time in the fall term and if not take care and one day the world will rotate around and bring us all back together again. All the best.
    Erin McMenamin

9. Hi Mary,

Thank you for all the help I recieved for registration into the Bachelor of Education! I am sad I will not get another chance to see you again. I wish you well on your retiement! I hope you have a relaxed holiday!! You deserve the time off!
    Claudette Jim

10. Best wishes for your retirement. (I can hardly believe you are actually doing it full time finally!) Thanks for all the interesting experiences and great chats about Aboriginal Education and the adult learner. Enjoy your garden and your grandchildren!
    Donna

11. Hi Mary,
    Congradulations! Wishing you all the best in what ever you choose to do in the future. I hope to see you someday and share our wonderful experiences and exciting adventures. You will be missed I am sure. Love Valerie

12. Congrats Mary. All the best on the future..take time for yourself and enjoy. Thank you for everything and maybe we might still see you around the hallways when you come and visit.

Deanna Legare

13. Hi Mary,

I wish you all the best in your next exciting chapter!
    Thank you for sharing your passion for teaching with us all. I have always admired your strength and compassion as an educator and have learned greatly from your example. I wouldn’t be happily teaching Jr High Art (my passion) without your help! I look back on my time at Mal with very fond memories and know you will do the same.
    Best wishes,
    :)Erin Merriman

14. Hi Mary,

Thank you so much for everything you’ve done over the past three years I’ve been in the Education program. I find myself remembering things from my third year class with you that I thought would slowly slip away from my mind. I’ve used the TC2 lessons a few times and they have been a huge success every time.

You are such a wonderful resourceful person and have been a great support to me.

I wish you all the best in your retirement and hope to see you around!

Katie Matthews

15. Hi Mary~
    Over the time that we’ve known each other, I’ve watched as you surmounted many challenges. You’re well suited for your next step. Best wishes as you move fully from the M3 fold into the TC2 one.

16. Mary,

You’re planning course gave me a memorable foundation for the planning skills and techniques I have used over the past two years in the education program. You always made us laugh in class; even when you weren’t trying. I wish I was able to take more classes with you. You will be missed by many! Thank you.
    Ashley Bell

17. Mary,
    I really enjoyed our conversations about education and critical thinking. Thanks so much for your willingness to share your insights and thoughts, you are a real inspiration to me.
    Best to you as you pursue new adventures….may you have many opportunities to enjoy!
    Best
    Lis

18. Mary,

You are going to be missed – you taught me so much about the importance of critical thinking and foundations for planning!!! Congratulations on your retirement and good luck on your new journey!

19. Dear Mary,
    All my best for a great retirement. It was always a pleasure to visit with you to see how you brought clarity and integrity to those conversations and to my deliberations. You were greatly needed and you’ll be missed greatly:-)
    George

20. Hi Mary . . . Congratulations on making this decision . . .I’m sure that it will bring in new and exciting opportunities for you. I’ll miss your bright mind and compassionate heart.
    Hope to stay in touch,
    Katherine

21. Hi Mary,

It seems so long ago that I had that first advising appointment with you that marked the beginning of a wonderful 5 years at UBC and VIU. I can never thank you enough for all your support and guidance – oh and all the phone calls, e-mails and appointments too 🙂

I loved being a student in your courses and the term “The Big Idea” will always bring a chuckle.

I will be thinking of you next year when I graduate with two degrees. WOW! I never would have imagined. I can hardly wait to be a teacher and use all the critical thinking strategies with my students!

Good Luck with the Critical Thinking Consortium. I hope our paths cross again.

Sheila

22. Mary,

I wish you all the best in your new journey. Thank you for being so supportive and friendly when I called in for help with my future. Take care, Tina Rees:)

23. Mary,
    It has been a pleasure working with you and I wish you all the best as your journey continues and you round the next bend in the road.

Pam

24. Dear Mary,
    I have appreciated all your contributions to our teacher education program.
    Your passion about curriculum and pedagogy have been inspirational!
    Your common sense approach and your ability to work towards better solutions have been invaluable.
    I have enjoyed working with you and although you will be missed, I wish you well as you continue on your life’s journey.
    All the very best,
    Virginia

25. Dear Mary,
    Best wishes as you continue your work in critical thinking. You are passionate and genuinely care about learning. I wish you health, happiness and joy in all that you do. The very best.
    Carolyn

26. Dear Mary
    Our time together was too short! I have great respect and admiration for your committment to teaching and learning, and your belief in children’s abilities. It has been an honour working with you. I wish you all the best as you begin this next chapter in your remarkable career, and I hope our paths meet again.
    Sincerely, Heather

27. Dear Mrs. Abbott,
    It was really fun to work on the Three Little Pigs project and I really miss doing that. Thank you for picking me for the project- it was thoughtful of you. It made me feel good when I got to see the picture that I drew on the booklet. I felt really proud for doing the project.
    Good luck, and I will miss you.
    From, David Pastro

28. Dear Mrs. Abbott
    Have a great retirement and know that you’ve inspired everyone on your path through life. In your ongoing years, I hope that you have many different opportunities to do more of what you love and you will definitely make the best of your life. Thank you for the amazing opportunity that you gave me to put forward my artwork and share it with others.
    Sincerly Stephanie Pastro, age 12

29. Dear Mary,
    Cheers to an inspirational and creative educator who was always ready, willing and able to guide students with her passion, resourcefulness and creativity. All the best for your next adventure.
    Vicki Grealy-Ross